As we begin a new series this week, Pastor Ben takes us through the idea of reading and studying the Bible. We look at why the Bible is so important, as well as a technique to understand what God is trying to teach us as we get into His word.
READ: Open your Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to teach, correct, and train you (2 Timothy 3:16). As you’re reading, ask these questions:
- What is happening in this passage? What things are emphasized, repeated, related?
- What do you see about God? What is God doing in this passage?
- What do you see about man?
EXAMINE: Spend some time reflecting. Ask yourself these questions, and write down your thoughts:
- How do you think the author wants his audience to respond?
- What do you learn about God’s character?
- What wrong beliefs about God and myself did I have?
APPLY: After examining the passage, apply the text to your own life. Ask yourself these questions:
- How do I need to repent?
- What truths do I need to believe?
- What false beliefs must I turn from?
- What can I do – empowered by the Holy Spirit – to apply this passage today?
PRAY: Pray through the passage and your application, asking God to change your heart and to change your life, based on the time you’ve spent in God’s Word.